It is the oldest mine. It is located at 12 km north east of Amman. The work in the mine started in 1953 up to 1985, when a decision to halt it was made considering the social environment and the densely populated surroundings.
Phosphate was discovered in Russaifa during the laying down the Jordanian part of the Hejaz railway in 1906. In 1936, the first company to extract phosphate ore was formed with a capital of JOD 1 million.